The Worlds Best Fluffy Pancakes (Paleo)
While I’m more of a savoury minded person myself, I do love the occasional fluffy pancakes! Not any fluffy pancakes though – ones that are good for you and that leaves you feel good after eating it. Imagine – a fluffy pancake without feeling heavy or a food coma afterwards!
These fluffy pancakes are on a base of green banana flour – and excellent resistant starch that helps to foster diversity of your gut microbiome. It can also be made egg free. Personally I love the extra protein and micronutrient value of egg, so I include it.
Whenever having something starchy or sweet it’s great to include cinnamon. Cinnamon helps to reduce the insulin spike after a sweet meal (you can see some research on that here and how cinnamon and other plants affect blood glucose and lipid levels here ).
Fluffy Banana Flour Pancakes
- 2 TBS freshly ground golden flaxseeds mixed with 6 TBS filtered water in a small bowl (set aside while preparing other ingredients).
- 1/4 cup green banana flour
- 1 tspn bicarb soda
- 1 tspn organic ground cinnamon
- 1 tspn apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1.4 cup coconut / crap-free nut milk.
- Coconut yoghurt
- Organic frozen berries and or cherries of your choosing. heat on the stove to warm up and reduce the juice down a bit while you cook the pancakes.
- In a medium size bowl add all the dry ingredients.
- In the small bowl of now goopy flaxseed meal, add the vinegar and egg and whisk together with a fork. when well mixed, add nut milk and mix through.
- Heat up pan with a TBS of either coconut oil or ghee in it.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, whisking together as you do so. Whisk thoroughly until well combined. If mixture is too thick, you can add a little more nut milk (a little goes a long way).
- Pour into heated pan to make pancakes or pikelets. Once air bubble start to form and batter is no long runny, flip to cook the other side.
Serve with coconut yoghurt and warm berries. Delicious!