PCOS Causes and Real Solutions – it IS treatable
PCOS is polycystic ovarian syndrome is commonly thought to be a condition of the ovaries. That would make sense right, with the name it has?! In fact you can have PCOS without having any cysts on your ovaries!
Like many diagnoses, the tissue, organ or system it is named after is only actually one of the locations experiencing symptoms of a problem starting elsewhere.
Having been through PCOS myself about 20 years ago, it really irks me when women are not given real solutions to REVERSE PCOS, as the long term implications and impact on quality of life and health are huge.
Finding the true cause enables you to find a real solution that leads you to vibrant health in so many more ways than one!
- There may or may not be multiple cysts (not really cysts, but follicles / eggs) on the ovaries.
- irregular or no menstrual cycle
- Increased facial and body hair
- Scalp hair loss
- Reduced fertility (due to irregular or absent ovulation)
- Mood changes
- Sleep apnoea
- increased risk of diabetes
- Insulin resistance in 4 out of 5 women who have PCOS
So while PCOS can affect ovarian function, there are 4 underlying conditions or triggers that cause it. The last 3-4 symptoms on the list above give a strong clue to the involvement of insulin resistance (a precursor to diabetes). At least 70% of PCOS is due to insulin resistance.
The most common allopathic treatment for PCOS is the Oral contraceptive pill (OCP). The OCP does NOT treat PCOS. It simply puts you into a chemically induced menopause so that you no longer experience those particular symptoms related to your menstrual cycle. For women wanting to conceive the treatment is usually drugs that stimulate ovulation.
Diagnosis of PCOS
Diagnosis of PCOS is likely to involve:
- your medical history
- an visual examination
- tests to measure hormone levels in the blood. PCOS comes down to an excess of androgen (“male” hormones) production, when all other causes have been ruled out.
- other tests when necessary, such as a pelvic ultrasound.
Long-term health risks of PCOS
PCOS is associated with the following long-term health risks:
- insulin resistance
- increased risk of the development of diabetes, especially if women are overweight
- cholesterol and blood fat abnormalities (like Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, which itself is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer)
- cardiovascular disease (heart disease, heart attack and stroke)
- endometrial cancer (if there is long-standing thickening of the lining of the womb).
PCOS Causes and Real Solutions
- CAUSE: Post oral contraceptive pill PCOS: In the 6 months following stopping the pill the ovaries can produce an excess of androgens as they kick back into gear. REAL SOLUTION: start preparing BEFORE you stop the pill with a low sugar dairy free diet, herbs to support liver metabolism of hormones, zinc and a good quality broccoli sprout powder.
- CAUSE: Insulin resistance leading to increased production of androgens (70% + of cases). REAL SOLUTION: Go on a low/er carb diet, base meals on lots of non-starchy veggies, good quality meat and good quality fats from pasture raised animals, avocado, extra virgin olive oil.
- CAUSE: Chronic inflammation leading to increase androgen production. REAL SOLUTION: determine the sources of inflammation – food sensitivity, gut dysbiosis, immune dysregulation, histamine / methylation issues, toxin exposures, asthma, eczema etc. – and address / eliminate them.
- CAUSE: Adrenal PCOS shows up with blood results sowing high DHEAS (an androgen produced by the adrenal glands rather than the ovaries) AND normal testosterone and androstenedione. This accounts for roughly 10% of cases. REAL SOLUTION: Adrenal support with herbs and nutrients (like magnesium, vitamin C and B5) and stress management through lifestyle (essential) to down regulate DHEA production.
They key is to get help to determine what TYPE of PCOS you have, then you will be empowered to know how to reverse it. By doing so, you get your natural right of having a healthy, regular, pain free menstrual cycle and lush fertility. Connect with our team for support.