The trick to making delicious, simple, nourishing meals is to have a well-stocked pantry. It’s easy to whip up a delicious meal without using packet sauces, a salad dressing from scratch or a quick snack when you have the basics on hand.
Stocking up on everything at once can get pricey, so just get 1 or 2 things each week or as you can afford them. Since you generally only use a little of the basics at a time, they usually last a decent amount of time once you have them.
Here’s a list of our pantry basics. The top 5 are the ones I recommend you start with.
The Top 5
- Good quality celtic / macrobiotic sea salt (greyish in colour) (optional: get one with kelp flakes in it).
- Raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- Extra virgin coconut oil
- Organic balsamic vinegar
- A good quality water filter and remineraliser
- For almost 10 years now, I personally use www.waterscoaustralia.com.au – use discount code HelenP2017 for 15% off any purchase.
- Sesame oil (for dressings)
- Unhulled tahini
- Organic AND free range / pastured eggs
- Raw cashews
- Raw Almonds
- Seaweeds – kelp, arame, wakame, kombu, karengo. Your choice.
- Sesame seeds
- Raw almonds
- Raw cashews
- Raw pepitas
- Red / brown onions
- Fresh garlic bulbs
- Organic preservative free shredded coconut
- Grass fed gelatin powder (gels) and / or collagen powder (doesn’t gel)
- Preservative / additive free coconut cream
- Australian / locally grown quinoa (avoid quinoa from south America for ethical reasons)
- Raw buckwheat groats
- Organic ghee (for cooking / baking / snacking)
Herbs and spices (organic)
- Black pepper (whole – for freshness of flavour) in a grinder
- Bay leaves
- Cardamon pods
- Cumin powder
- Nutmeg powder
- I like preparing or buying some ready to go herb and spice mixes like an Italian herb mix or a Mexican spice rub to help speed up the process of cooking a meal when in a hurry.
In the Fridge
- Leafy greens
- Broccoli, cauliflower
- Fermented veggies
- Organic / grass fed and finished meat
- Organic chicken
- Organic eggs
- Kultured Wellness Starter cultures for making coconut yoghurt and water kefir. AFFILIATE
In the freezer:
- Organic berries
- Organic liver and homemade pate
- Organic pasture raised meats
- Wild caught seafood
- Portions of leftover meals
- Portions of bone broth (broth ice cubes / cups / 500ml are good size portions).
In the Garden or Pot Plants
- Your choice of easy to grow fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, lemon balm, mint, coriander, basil, oregano, chives, sage, kaffir lime, parlsey, chilli.
- Easy to grow leafy greens like lemon sorrel and rocket
With pantry basics like that, your day to day life in the kitchen will be a whole heap simpler. Enjoy!