Here are some tips from the nutrition front to help reduce and recover from your PEMS (post exercise muscle soreness) DOMS (delayed onset muscle sore ness) or EIDMS (exercise induced delayed muscle soreness).
Prevention and Treatment:
Increase antioxidants: Antioxidants help to minimize free-radical damage to otherwise healthy tissue. Free radicals are produced as a result of exercise (a by-product of metabolism, which is increased when exercising).
Vitamin C – has been shown in several studies to reduce the degree of DOMS. Being water soluble vitamin C stores ideally should be loaded for a few days before and after a major event. I recommend a minimum of 4g (4 000mg) of vitamin C per day.
– Best food sources: Gubinge (Kakadu plum), camu camu, acai, acerola berry, red capsicum, kiwi fruit, cabbage(especially when it’s fermented!), blackberries, parsley, Red chilli, watercress.
Vitamin E (mixed)
- Along with vitamin C it reduces DNA damage in immune cells of runners. Food sources include raw sunflower seeds, almonds, olives,spinach, turnip greens, tomatoes, pine nuts, avocado,
- (best source being a high quality cod liver oil such as Green Pastures brand or Quantum Nutrition Labs brand. Next best sources: organic liver (hello pate!), organic chicken, organic egg yolk, organic ghee (from grass fed cows).
- (best sources are: Brazil nuts, mushrooms, organic egg yolk, red meats, oat bran, mustard powder)
- (tomatoes, dark green leafy veggies, carrots)
Antioxidant Super Foods:
- Green tea
- Organic berries
- St Mary’s Thistle (tea / supplement)
Protein and carbohydrate replenishment
- within 2 hours post exercise is crucial to prevent muscle fibre breakdown and is glycogen sparing.
Post Exercise Super Smoothie
- 1 banana
- 1 cup fresh or frozen organic berries (blue / rasp / black etc.)
- 1 cup of: raw milk / kefir / unhomogenised organic milk / coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon spirulina
- 1 teaspoon Chia seeds
- 1 raw organic egg
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen (caution for those with asthma / allergies).
- 1 dessert spoon cold pressed extra virgin flax seed or hemp seed oil.
- ½-1 teaspoon cinnamon (improves insulin sensitivity and contains great
- 1 teaspoon of Maca powder
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon 2012 probiotic super food blend
Pop all ingredients into the blender and whizz for 30-40 seconds, then enjoy!